5/14/09

Rites of Passage

Bar Mitzvahs, debutante balls, and graduation. What do all these things have in common? In some sense, they are all rites of passage. But passage into what? I suppose that they are all passages into adulthood in various subcultures. But then what does adulthood mean? I guess it means taking responsibility for oneself, making ones own decisions, or supporting oneself financially. But are those things really qualitative to adulhood? I know plenty of teenagers who fit those criteria of adulthood and plenty of people over the age of 30 who do not fit those criteria (come to think of it, do I fit that criteria?). So what makes someone an adult? And does a rite of passage ever accomplish those things?

I have little nostalgic moments, you see. Often those moments pass without me getting to post something on this blog. And by the time the moment has passed, I find myself quite trite. But I'm remaining a little nostalgic this week because I'm graduating. But this graduation is different. For the first time in my life, there is no further education in the foreseeable horizon. I have finally finished school: preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, college, and grad school. Lots of schools had lots of me. I finally have to wrestle with the fact that I'm an adult. Or at least maybe I am.

And I haven't necessarily looked forward to graduation, but if I didn't have that ceremony would I have as much closure on the biggest part of my life thus far? Think about it. Since preschool, I've probably spent at least 4-5 hours a day in school for 5 days a week (counting class time and homework- the number might even be higher). That is a huge portion of my identity since I was 3 years old. What am I to do with the vast identity I have created about grade performance, reading, and writing?

I have a lot of questions on this post, and not many answers. But I suspect that in some way the events of Saturday will remain with me in a deeper way than the mere symbolism of passing across a stage or moving a tassel. I'm just not sure how yet.

No comments: