10/10/08

Warning: Important

The Alliance Defense Fund is basically a set of lawyers that advocate on behalf of churches and pastors when they enter the public foray.

You have got to read this story from Sunday. A bunch of pastors challenged the constitutionality of a certain tax status if they endorse certain issues or candidates. Essentially, they went around looking for a fight to challenge the idea that a 501(c)(3)- a non-profit- cannot legally endorse candidates or issues.

Tell me what you think about this. I'm still forming my opinion.

4 comments:

Ben said...

First instincts - why do we want to endorse a candidate? Why not teach parishioners how to think rather than telling them what to think? Unless you have a genuine prophetic word from the Lord, I'm not buying it; and if you were to claim a genuine prophetic word endorsing a candidate, I would be VERY skeptical - does such a word agree with previous revelation (an important condition for prophecy in the church age)? Consider Joshua 5-6, especially 5:13-14.

Susan said...

Perhaps churches need to re-think the whole 501(c)(3) thing and get out from under the realm of government say-so all together. Time was when churches didn't tangle themselves in "non-profit status"...

David Strunk said...

Great points Ben and Susan.
I'd be skeptical of churches endorsing candidates, because candidates are always so imperfect. But what about issues? Would it be ok to promote Colorado amendment proposals like the one I endorsed earlier on this blog?

Canada has gotten rid of churches non-profit status and they now have to tax. But would I be demonstrating a lack of faith if I said taxes would cripple a lot of churches? I don't want govt. control or influence in the church, but I do like the non-tax reality as well. This is a tough issue.

Ben said...

I think churches can endorse issues, like the amendments...? Not sure. Just going off my memory from two years ago here when there were civil union & marriage amendment issues on the ballot.

The tax thing is an interesting question; it's a vestige of "Christendom," really, which I reject, but I'm still up in the air with you, Dave.