10/9/08

A Little Shout-out

Time Magazine put out a political piece about Arapahoe County, Colorado, home to yours truly.

I'd say the article does a fair job of surmising the complexities that are Arapahoe County. I live on the Western edge. I literally can see across the river to the next county from where I type. Littleton epitomizes the suburban aspect of the article, embedded in the middle a mindset where people unflinchingly have voted for Tom Trancedo many times (for the record: not a big fan). But Arapahoe County encompasses an industrial sector, the tech center, and incredibly rural parts of eastern Colorado (its a big county). I suppose that's what makes it such an exciting center for political discourse. After all, both Presidential campaigns have been to Colorado a lot since the conventions.

If you'll permit a little reflection, this reminds me of the days when I used to live in Chillicothe, Ohio. During the 8 years I lived there, President Clinton visited twice. No less, 60 Minutes back in the spring of this year did a segment on Chillicotheans. That's because it was the epitome of the industrial sector of our country. Not a lot of upper class or lower class. Just a lot of middle class. Chillicothe had a Mead Plant, a Kenworth Plant, and many other industrial jobs. I really remember the amount of prayer requests in church every week when layoffs were happening. The population of Chillicothe has actually dropped since I moved- jobs are leaving after all. Time's article about my county and my reflection about the past just reminds me of the old cliche: all politics really are local.

No comments: