12/23/09

Political Correctness is Stupid and Obama is Wrong

Sometimes I just write exactly what comes to mind, so I hope you don't mind the subject title. I think I will prove my point in a second.

President Obama went to a boys and girls club to talk about the meaning of Christmas. But watch this video or read the transcript (from the White House's website). Kids are much smarter than we think. Highlights:

THE PRESIDENT: You know, I think that the most important thing is just to remember why we celebrate Christmas.

CHILD: I know!

THE PRESIDENT: Do you know?

CHILD: The birth of baby Jesus.

THE PRESIDENT: The birth of baby Jesus, and what he symbolizes for people all around the world is the possibility of peace and people treating each other with respect. And so I just hope that spirit of giving that's so important at Christmas, I hope all of you guys remember that as well. You know, it's not just about getting gifts but it's also doing something for other people. So being nice to your mom and dad and grandma and aunties and showing respect to people -- that's really important too, that's part of the Christmas spirit, don't you think? Do you agree with me?

No, Mr. President, I don't agree with you. Instead of listening to you, I've chosen to read. And I've chosen to read the words Jesus himself said. Jesus, when he became an adult, told us why he came. He told us the meaning of Christmas. And it wasn't your answer. I don't even need my own, because Jesus' answer is so good.

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." Luke 19:10

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:45

Jesus didn't come to give us an example of niceness (that's the essence of liberal theology). Jesus came to die on a cross and to save lost people who don't know him. Even he said so.

That's not politically correct at all.

5 comments:

Zac Hicks said...

A- double-up, A-Men

JC Neely said...

thanks for the post.
i linked to it from our family blog.
Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

He is talking to kids, I think your reading way to into this. It sounds like you are trying to take shots at The president and his "liberal" agenda. He is not a preacher, what he said is not wrong when speaking to a bunch of
little kids. Sometimes looking for a fight is not a good idea.

By the way, I too am a conservative. There was no need to go on a rant about this. Rants like this turn people away from Christianity. Obama may not be 100% correct, but there are many people who don't even have the morals he speaks off. This could lead as a stepping stone. Plenty of other things you could get on a soap box about.

David Strunk said...

I will not respond to anonymous posts that are laden with logical fallacies.

David Strunk said...

Anonymous,

You seem pretty insistent about getting your quips in. I've deleted your smugness twice now. By "responding", I meant that I won't take you point by point. I didn't respond to your points, and I merely stated that I wouldn't. But I think I will respond now, just so that you know what I am thinking by writing this post. Clarity is better than lack of clarity.

1) Perhaps you were right, and that I was too glib responding to Obama. I was worried about that, and deleted several biting albeit true remarks before I published the post. Please excuse me there. On the other hand, I take comments at face value, and I do not care what venue they are offered. Obama, even while reading comments to children, posts the video on the white house video. Politically speaking, this was a photo-op and wasn't just meant for children. It was meant for public consumption, and my right to enter the foray was granted by Obama's meaning it for me to watch.

2) I think you misunderstood my meaning of the word "liberal." I made no statement about his political agenda in this post. I noted that his articulation of Christmas was that of liberal theology in the vein of Schleiermacher and Von Harnack. Their views of the atonement is what Obama also offered: Jesus came as a mere example of ultimate humanity. I, however, subscribe to an evangelical view, that of substitutionary atonement. Jesus died in my place. I find the theologically liberal view of the atonement misguided and incomplete, and so I thought I'd offer the two most clear comments Jesus made about his mission to earth in response to that misguided view.

3) "What he said is not wrong when speaking to a bunch of little kids." This statement of yours is confounding. If something is wrong, then it is wrong. If something is right, then it is right. Right and wrong are absolute terms. Morally gray exists to be sure, as well as human wisdom in varying circumstances. But if Obama is proffering an incorrect view of the atonement and incarnation, it does not matter where he presents it. It will always be wrong.

4) "Looking for a fight." This isn't something I presume to do and you were wrong to assume it. The point of this blog is to critically evaluate aspects of the news from a Christian worldview. Sometimes figures like Obama get it, sometimes they don't. If you would like to see, I was equally critical of GW Bush at times. You'd have to go back a ways in the archives though.

5) "Rants like this...." First of all, besides your own personal experience, how do you know that rants turn people aside from Christianity? Do you have empirical data? Make no mistake, we should always present Christianity with gentleness and respect (1 Pet. 3:15), but to suppose we shouldn't stand up for truth is absurd. If the President is many people's only voice on Christianity, then they should be presented with a true picture, not a false one.

6) Second, why do you suppose I am ranting? I said I was glib, but my tone did not get in the way of the truth I laid out. Either you agree or disagree with my statements.

7) "This could lead as a stepping stone." To what? I am unclear on what you are saying.

8)"Plenty of other things...." Believe me, I do speak out on many other issues. Please read more on this blog.

9) I am leaving your comment because dissent should always be stated. But please have the decency to put your name by your argument next time. If you do not, I will not post it.