12/9/09

The Gospel According to Tiger Woods

I have a confession to make: I love Tiger Woods. I was in 7th grade when he broke onto the scene at the Masters and dominated the field in 1997. I was young, but the appreciation and admiration I held for Tiger Woods was strong and lasted well into my adult life now. In terms of athletes I loved to watch play, he is second only to Peyton Manning. If you know me, this is a big deal.

I don't wish to detail Tiger's "transgressions," because I do think he deserves a fair amount of privacy. I also don't want to speculate on how much I will or will not like him as a golfer in the future. I just can't say right now. What I want to call attention to is Tiger's incredible need for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Excerpts from his widely read transcript are below:

I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family... I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology.

I don't think Tiger's apology to his wife or fans should go unnoticed. I sincerely believe this is a guy who senses profound guilt for his wrongdoing, and not just because he got caught. His penitential spirit is admirable. It's his response, though, that makes me sad: "I will strive to be a better person..."

A writer, about 2000 years ago, describes this predicament, and Tiger's solution doesn't seem to fix the problem.

"None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God...no one does good, not even one...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." Romans 3:10, 11, 12, 23 (ESV)
Not a one of us does good? In our hearts, we must acknowledge that not even our good actions are born out of completely pure, good, and God-honoring motives. Paul is right. Not one of us does good. That includes Tiger.

Our response to Tiger shouldn't be one of condemnation, lest we write our own tombstone engravings. There's only one solution to this problem, and it isn't to do better, because apparently we are incapable of doing so. Allow me to proceed with Paul's argument.

"[F]or all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus...[F]or we hold that one is justified by faith..." Romans 3:23-24, 28

Doing better just won't do. We need a savior. All of us. Not just Tiger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://uworejoxu.builtfree.org/wyfahok.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich