11/20/09

Drawing the Line

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I strongly and sincerely believe that Christians should care about certain issues in our political climate. And you'll also have come to know that Christians should care more about some issues than others. Please read this article from the NY Times that highlights important Christians who agree with me.

Life issues- war and abortion- will always be more important than other issues, no matter the political climate and no matter the trends in the air. A highlight in the article:

“We argue that there is a hierarchy of issues,” said Charles Colson, a prominent evangelical who founded Prison Fellowship after serving time in prison for his role in the Watergate scandal. “A lot of the younger evangelicals say they’re all alike. We’re hoping to educate them that these are the three most important issues.”

Right on, Chuck, keep it coming. The environment isn't as important as our stance on abortion. Healthcare isn't as important as our stance on abortion. Somebody please remind Ron Sider and Jim Wallis. (For a defense and further arguments of my views, among other blogs you can read these recent ones here and here.)

3 comments:

Ben said...

I agree with you. I don't necessarily agree with Chuck - he says the three highest priorities are abortion, homosexuality, and religious freedom. I have a hard time putting homosexuality on par with abortion, and I don't see religious freedom as in danger the way this document apparently does. I tend to agree that the conscience clauses are sufficient.

So... what's your hierarchy? I would put abortion at the top; I guess that's an easy one. The hard part is, after that, it is much more difficult to decide what the best course of action may be on any given issue. This gets back to your blog post of about a year ago defending the single-issue voter. Other issues are important, some are even very important, but this one is most important, and it has the most clear-cut goal of any of them.

Ben said...

Ooh, the plot thickens! The list of signers includes J. I. Packer, Ravi Zacharias, Denver's Archbishop Chaput, Peter Kreeft, and Tim Keller. And a bunch of other recognizable names on down the conservative spectrum. The three most significant names for me - Leith Anderson... Craig Williford... and... Ron Sider. (Nobody from the current Denver Seminary world.) Now I'm gonna have to read the darn thing!

David Strunk said...

Ben,

You are awesome. Thanks for commenting.

My priority would first of all include life issues: abortion and war (and hopefully just war) are on the same level. These issues regard the very existence of life and should be regarded most highly by the evangelical.

Second, I would include quality-of-life issues for humanity. While I don't advocate a liberal view of most quality-of-life issues, I do think they should be considered. Healthcare and faith-based initiatives often get in this list.

Third, I would put environmental issues. Humans are made in the image of God as the pinnacle of creation. So I will always place any human issue over the importance of environmental issues. Even though these issues are still important.

Last, the character of an elected official should be considered.

Is that a good enough hierarchy for you or would you like me to spell it out more?