2/4/09

Why I'm a Skeptic

The federal government is not good at creating jobs. I said it back in September and October when the Bush administration was misleading the American public deeper into a financial mess. Now, Obama is using this new stimulus as justification for all the wasteful spending he wants to do. I don't know why this is so hard to understand, so I'll let liberal Maureen Dowd explain why government spending and the current Obama administration is a mess. I'm a conservative because I've seen more change at the local level than I ever have at the federal level. Obama isn't change, or hope, or any other buzzword we attach to him. He's a fallen human who shows a propensity to curry power, money, and ambition. God help him, because I don't know if I'd fare much better....

1 comment:

Kev said...

Amen to that. And I'm tired of the old responses I keep getting when I criticize Obama (or any other politician): "Oh, you think you could do any better?"

No. I couldn't. That's the point. We're putting all this responsibility, expectation, and POWER in the hands of someone who simply isn't able. For years now, we've blithely assumed that the President runs the country. It's amazing just how far off basis our whole argument is.

The real tragedy of our democracy is that no party seems to be a proponent of limited government unless they are the minority. The Bush Administration was the furthest thing from limited-government conservative as possible, and we've got him to thank in large part for the current fight to bring back a proper understanding of conservatism.

It's somewhat like what you wrote in your last post. Many people haven't read the Bible, but claim to disagree. Many people haven't read the Bible, and claim to follow it. I feel the same about political ideologies. People tend to define an ideology by the actions of a few high-profile, recent frontrunners who claim the label.

Try explaining to a modern liberal why they're the furthest thing from classical liberalism. Only if you're super bored and high on caffeine though.