2/6/09

Just Like that Last Post

On Inauguration day, I was sitting at my church watching the tv coverage. I was eating lunch while they were showing Obama's parade and walk down Pennsylvania avenue. At that time, an elderly man whom I know well at church came in. He's not really that into politics, and didn't really care too much about the last election. But he's been around the block- seen the Kennedy administration, knew about Watergate, Reagan, and Bush 43. So he saw the coverage and remarked, "It's too bad they're all gonna hate him (Obama) in 4 years. They always do." And as simply as he came in he walked off. Then Ecclesiastes came to my mind, "There's nothing new under the sun." Charles Krauthammer has the same idea today:

After Obama's miraculous 2008 presidential campaign, it was clear that at some point the magical mystery tour would have to end. The nation would rub its eyes and begin to emerge from its reverie. The hallucinatory Obama would give way to the mere mortal. The great ethical transformations promised would be seen as a fairy tale that all presidents tell -- and that this president told better than anyone. I thought the awakening would take six months. It took two and a half weeks.

This stimulus bill is almost laughable. All of the commentary I've read (liberal or conservative) is ripping this thing to shreds. There really is nothing new under the sun.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Yeah I've never liked the "Messiah figure" that people make Obama out to be. Nonetheless, I hope he does at least SOME good, even though I guarantee he won't do everything he wants or especially everything everybody else wants.

David Strunk said...

The problem with making a President a Messiah figure is that Congress makes the job of the President very messy. We project all our blame or praise on one person when the Constitution gives more power to the Legislative branch. How else do you explain the annual deplorable ratings of Congress, and yet incumbunts are always reelected more than newcomers?

Rachel said...

You're right. I'm so thankful that we don't have to put our faith and hope in governments. How does that Psalm go? Something like "Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men who cannot save us... On that very day, their plans come to nothing." I'm glad that we know the Prince in whom our faith can rest.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?