9/10/08

How Does the Church Do Politics?

I have been asked on some occasions this fall, "How does the church do politics?" In what ways can the church meaningfully engage and impact the political and governmental realm?

Most of the time, whenever I see the church engage political issues, it is in the form of the Sunday morning sermon. While the church has to steer clear of endorsing any specific politicians (lest it lose its non-profit status), I have heard many political statements about citizenship and specific political issues. Here are some examples that I've heard in sermons:

1) National elections are more important than local elections.

2) You must engage your responsibility to vote.

3) True Christians are pro-life.

4) The Bible is our source of information in how we vote.

Now, without actually breaking down each comment, or simply agreeing or disagreeing with them, I recognize that the church should engage politics and that it is always a messy ordeal. My only affirmation is that the church think through and think theologically about political issues and candidates. This might be a departure from the Anabaptist stream (of total separation from church and state), but I think this affirmation includes most of the Christian perspective. We might not always affect the state, or vote, or serve in the military, but we should at least think about all of these things. Perhaps even Anabaptists would agree with that.

Regarding this process, then, one of the best theological reflections I've heard about the Christian faith and the political realm was a sermon by Don Sweeting, at my church, Cherry Creek Presbyterian. We've been going through Romans all summer long (based on lectionary readings) and will be ending soon. Coincidentally (or Providentially), Romans 13 was one of the lectionary texts following both political conventions. If you get a chance, listen to that sermon. It is a great run through of the historical and cultural issues of the Roman empire and how Christians should engage the state.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Stay tuned for Ron Sider's talk on campus in early October. Also, hopefully, stay tuned for an event I'm planning on campus featuring an evangelical Obama supporter and an evangelical McCain supporter in amicable conversation. (If I can find an Obama supporter to fill that role. Do you know one who would fit for that kind of event?)

Since you refrained from evaluating those four statements, I'll offer my opinion (without much reasoning):
1) I'm not sold.
2) Except under extenuating circumstances.
3) I wouldn't make it a litmus test, but, basically, I think a pro-choice Christian hasn't thought through the issue well enough.
4) Yes, but not just the Bible - we need to read a lot more than the Bible to understand contemporary politics.

David Strunk said...

Ben,
I'd agree with your 4-point assessment.
1) The only real dent I've ever seen in poverty and social justice issues was done by local government and not national. Makes point #1 a curious thing.
3) I also think a pro-choice Christian demonstrates an incoherent and contradictory worldview. It should be an impossibility, logically speaking.

Just some thoughts.

You can find lots of evangelical Obama supporters here on campus. You could always ask some of our faithful professors (I know two of the top of my head but won't mention them online).